Hawaii Fire Department was called out just after 5 a.m. to a home on Alani Street. When they arrived, they found the single story residence fully engulfed in flames.
The home’s occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived. A man was taken to Hilo Medical Center for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation; a woman, although injured, refused to be taken to the hospital.
The 1600-square-foot home was a single story, post-and-pier residence with double wall construction and an iron roof. Firefighters estimated damage to the home at $160,000. A zillow.com property value estimate places the home’s total value at $235,000.
The cause is listed as a lighted candle at the residence, making the second home fire in 6 hours to be caused by an unattended lighted candle. A home in Volcano burned down Saturday night with the same cause.